A PILOT PROGRAM FOR A NATIONAL GROUNDWATER MONITORING NETWORK—KEY FACTORS AND TIMELINE
Key factors of the ACWI-SOGW pilot program are the following:
- Principal aquifers, as defined by the U.S. Geological Survey, are the geographic emphasis of the NGWMN.
- Two subnetworks—an ambient (unstressed) and targeted (stressed) subnetwork—will be monitored for each aquifer.
- Water-quantity data (as water levels) and water-quality data will be collected.
- Fundamental elements of the framework document and the pilot program include network design, common.
- field practices, data standards, and data management.
- A data-management system to facilitate sharing of data is an integral part of the NGWMN.
ACWI-SOGW solicited potential pilot organizations with the understanding that each pilot would test the framework concepts and the data-management system within 12 months of selection and submit a report at the end of 18 months. The pilot studies have been selected and are currently underway. A brief synopsis of the pilot programs will be given.