Call For Session Proposals
2014 GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia (1922 October 2014)
Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Vancouver Convention Center
Technical Program Proposals 2014
Thank you for your interest in the 2014 GSA Annual Meeting in Vancouver (19–22 October 2014). The GSA annual meetings begin on a Sunday, and end the following Wednesday.
Proposers Please Note: Before you begin to fill out the forms, in addition to text for pasting into memo fields, please have all of the contact information available for ALL of your conveners or advocates (full first and last names, full address and zip, phone, fax, e-mail).
- Topical Sessions are a combination of volunteered and up to three (3) invited papers submitted to a specific session. Invited speakers may present one additional oral paper or poster at the meeting.
- Any individual or geoscience organization is welcome to submit a proposal. If you wish to propose a digital poster session, please submit the proposal as a topical session.
- Pardee Keynote Symposia are special sessions with all invited papers on innovative topics that should appeal to a large number of attendees. Organizers have a good deal of flexibility in organizing Pardee sessions, and creative programming is particularly encouraged. For example, talks can vary in length, in-depth discussions can be organized and included, and affiliated topical poster sessions can be proposed. Any individual or geoscience organization is welcome to submit a proposal. All Pardee session proposals go through a rigorous review process conducted by the Annual Program Committee and not all Pardee proposals are accepted. If a Pardee proposal is not accepted, the session does not automatically become a topical session. If you want to be sure to have a session during the Denver meeting, then you must submit a topical session proposal as well.
- Sponsorships: Your proposal will be strengthened by endorsement from sponsors, such as GSA Divisions, Associated Societies, or allied organizations. Please be sure to contact each of your intended sponsors; for example, email the Division Chair to receive their commitment to sponsor your session. Deadline to add sponsorships is Tuesday, 14 January 2014.
- For more sponsorship and contact information, go to the JTPC Listings page.
General Session Guidelines
Flexible and creative programming is encouraged for both the Pardee Keynote symposia and topical sessions. Organizers are encouraged to introduce an overview of the topic at the beginning of the session that would be of interest and understandable to fellow scientists who are not in the specialty field, but are interested in the topic. Also, time allocated for discussions is encouraged. For topical sessions, the number of sessions allotted for that topic will depend on the number of abstracts submitted in each presentation mode (oral / poster).
Publication of Technical Session Proceedings
GSA Council requests that proceedings of any technical session sponsored by a GSA Division, and given at a GSA Annual or Section meeting, first be offered to GSA for consideration of publication. As always, submission does not guarantee publication. Acceptance is in the hands of the GSA Books Science Editor and the reviewers. GSA would also like the opportunity to publish sessions sponsored by Associated Societies, but such sessions are not covered under the action of the Council.