THE NATIONAL GEOLOGIC MAP DATABASE -- RESOURCE FOR MAPPERS AND THE PUBLIC
To support geologic mappers, online resources provided by or linked from the NGMDB include:
1) the U.S. Geologic Names Lexicon (Geolex), the standard reference for the Nation's stratigraphic nomenclature;
2) the Geoscience Map Catalog, which contains citations and Web links to >100,000 maps, stratigraphic charts, and reports by >630 publishers, many containing GIS data, and map images in geotiff, jpg, and pdf format;
3) mapView, an interactive viewer that provides a visual front-end to selected bedrock and surficial geologic maps in the Catalog;
4) standards and techniques that are essential to compilation and production of geologic maps and databases (including the FGDC geologic map symbolization standard, the NCGMP09 database schema, and reports and presentations from the twenty-one annual Digital Mapping Techniques workshops); and
5) topoView, a popular new interface that enables users to quickly search, browse, and download USGS topographic maps.