ONLINE RESOURCES FOR GEOSCIENCE INSTRUCTORS AT TWO-YEAR COLLEGES
To support instructors in teaching geosciences at the 2YC level, the Geoscience in Two-Year Colleges (Geo2YC) website provides integrated access to all resources on teaching geoscience at the 2YC level developed by projects hosted on SERC websites. The site points to resources developed through several projects: The Role of Two-Year Colleges in Geoscience Education and in Broadening Participation in the Geosciences, the National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT) Two-Year College Division (Geo2YC), Supporting Community College Faculty Across Disciplines, Supporting and Advancing Geoscience Education in Two-Year Colleges (SAGE 2YC), and On the Cutting Edge. Taken together, these projects have generated a great body of knowledge to aid 2YC educators both in teaching and collaborating with their peers:
- essays on various aspects of life at 2YCs, descriptions of courses, and teaching activities submitted by 2YC faculty.
- networking and professional development opportunities such as workshops and sessions at professional meetings, as well as sources of support for attending them.
- a discussion board and email list to talk to others interested in 2YC issues.
- guidance for new faculty looking to start their 2YC careers.
- profiles of 2YC efforts under way in other disciplines that can serve as models including professional organizations, publications, networking opportunities, and awards.
By pulling these and other threads together, the Geo2YC website provides a synthetic view across the whole suite of projects working to support faculty and students at 2YCs and can thus be used by faculty as a “one stop shop” for information and materials about this increasingly important sector of the post-secondary education ecosystem.